Sunday, September 11, 2011

Grandpa's Hands

Grandpa’s fingers in the flag.

The flag was rolled out and covering the windows of the Pentagon. To me they represented the hands of the patriots. Hands of our fathers, holy hands, we will be true to thee, till death. Our father’s fingers labored over fields, built presses and built from south to north. They are all represented, both the fingers that remained and the fingers that were lost are represented in the flag on the Pentagon. All 5 fingers are there in the Pentagon. All 5 fingers, one handful of concerns represented in the Pentagon. Write the Decalogue on the fingers of your heart, but let the commitment to the flag be a part of your concerns. 2 Fingers worth? Sometimes. Grandpa’s 2 fingers that I looked at longingly. I wanted to kiss the remains of them. He never lingered at their loss, when asked about it. Should I linger at the concerns that my sanity is lessened on 9-11. Like Grandpa did at his 2 fingers. I will work with the three remaining fingers of my mind. Where did your mind go, mother? My mind was lost around, 9-11-01 and I hang the flag over the windows of my mind where the mind used to be. It is dark. It is lost, like Grandpa’s fingers, I use my mind to kiss the memory of my father-in-law’s opened hand, which he raised in praise to God. He lifted the remains of that hand and I lift the remains of my mind to God, in praise and worship. I grieve, the loss. I grieve the flag’s sad memorial. I grieve the losses of lives and parents and heroes and property. I grieve at the deception of lies and deaths and unkindness that hardness of heart can and have the pre eminence. Pre eminent in the season of the demons on the earth; pre eminent until Jesus overcomes them through His Church on the earth. Until the new heavens and the new earth can and do overcome. The rest of the fingers of the mind that remain, give God the glory. The rest of the fingers of my father-in-law, the pattern of raising hands. 5 oclock, they rolled back the flag and showed just the memorial. Minus the flag to mark the date. Remembering that our flag is a portion of our concerns and our patriotism, must follow our Christianity. Our patriotism must follow our family. I heard Amazing Grace, while I looked at my Pentagon, that I pray for. I saw Grandpa telling me that he is enjoying an intact spirit, now. He kissed me through that flag. We were one in the spirit. We are together in worship through hand’s upraised and mind upraised also. Just as he ridiculed my study and I ridiculed his illogical consistency. Praising God, with fingers lost. Worshipping in the face of ignorance. We hold hands today. My mind is with him and his fingers are with me in that flag. I kissed them today. Something that I would never have even asked him, when he was here with us. He loved the flag and he loved his family and he loved, even me, through marriage, {his Dolcinea}. He changed my perspective of my loss. He changed my perception of my country. He changed my perspective of my priorities and now, my loss, is accepted, by me, in praise to my God, to be used to raise to God, as my father-in-law raised those hands to praise His mighty Savior and was that mighty man, on earth in faith that God had made him to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment