Friday, September 16, 2011

Psalm 139:17-24 I love the reasoning of David.

How precious also are thy thoughts unto me, O God! how great is the sum of them!
Psalm 139:18 If I should count them, they are more in number than the sand: when I awake, I am still with thee.
Psalm 139:19 Surely thou wilt slay the wicked, O God: depart from me therefore, ye bloody men.
Psalm 139:20 For they speak against thee wickedly, and thine enemies take thy name in vain.
Psalm 139:21 Do not I hate them, O LORD, that hate thee? and am not I grieved with those that rise up against thee?
Psalm 139:22 I hate them with perfect hatred: I count them mine enemies.
Psalm 139:23 Search me, O God, and know my heart: try me, and know my thoughts:
Psalm 139:24 And see if there be any wicked way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting.


He remembers that God has shown him that he is dear to God. God has treated David with undeserved kindness and favor, as He has all of us. David pens these thoughts. But, as if an afterthought, David remembers the hatred in his own heart. A fierce and animalistic hatred that arises toward enemies and that seems to grow a concern in his mind. Search me, Lord. He exclaims. I feel justified to hate these enemies and perhaps I would be on that side of Your thoughts, at the times of my sins. Cleanse me thoroughly from my sin. I cannot be justified in my hatred, no matter how much I feel it is so, but Your fierce hatred against the sin of my heart is completely justified.
At that season of redemption, there was no answer to this irony of experience. I am in the loving favor of God and yet my sin still clings to me and is unpaid for. Grace and mercy were clearly not complete. No amount of animal sacrifice can atone for the sin of my soul. Don't let me be on the fierce and hot side of Your anger, with the wicked, Lord. When I remember the grace and the mercy of Your tenderness to my soul, help it to draw me to repentance and faith in the sacrificial work of my Loving Lord Jesus. David was justified through the embrace of this future truth and the acknowledgement that it could not just be because of his relationship to his family lineage. The Lord, is coming, was their faith and the Lord has come, is ours.

No comments:

Post a Comment