Friday, September 30, 2011

Who then, can be saved?

Mark 10:16 And he took them up in his arms, put his hands upon them, and blessed them.

Mark 10:17 And when he was gone forth into the way, there came one running, and kneeled to him, and asked him, Good Master, what shall I do that I may inherit eternal life?

Mark 10:18 And Jesus said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God.



What a question from the Lord Jesus? How pertinent a question of motive and motivation to the heart?

This man came running to Jesus. Jesus questions his motives. At first this seems, a bit abrupt a reception for a commending person? Does He not ask us the same?

What part of God’s goodness do you see in Jesus? This question pierces the heart. We could answer Lord, You are good in beauty and reputation. This may look to us to be true, at one time or another. But there is always a place where God’s goodness repulses our humanity. There is always a place where God’s beauty shames our greatest attempt.

Satan, indeed uses God as a type of mirror to compare himself to. “I will be like God!” His pride declares. This is where I am like God, he boasts.

Perhaps that was the state of this man. Perhaps he, too was saying, “its all good. You are good and I am also of the good sort of person, we should be together?”

So often that is my thought, if not expression. Lord, You are good, and it is good for me to be with You. God always challenges our intention in that sentiment. There is none good, but God. He is good in all ways and He is good in all His acts. But why do I call Him good?

If it is not to see myself as unworthy, it is the faith of demons and the disciples saw this irony, in this incident. If this good guy can’t be saved, calling on You as good, who can be saved? It is impossible, to have any motive, but demon motive, unless the Lord changes the heart to see the deplorable state of your own soul. Riches, especially can blind a person to this sad state and condition of relation with God. Jesus mercifully finds us out and brings us into conformity to Himself, even in our wretched pride and self exaltation.

It is not wrong to run to Jesus. He wants us to make our calling and election sure. When we run to Him, He wants us to know why. He gathers us into His arms and makes us His own dear child and blesses our feeblest effort and expression of love to Himself.

Thank you for trying my heart in motive, dear Jesus, that I may own my love for You.

No comments:

Post a Comment