Monday, June 23, 2014

Psalm 116:12 What shall I render unto the LORD for all his benefits toward me? Psalm 116:13 I will take the cup of salvation, and call upon the name of the LORD. Psalm 116:14 I will pay my vows unto the LORD now in the presence of all his people.

What shall I render, unto God for all His mercies?”

What do you give to God, who owns everything?

We, however much or little we have, have nothing in comparison to God, the ultimate authority. David said I will take the cup of salvation and call upon the name of the Lord.

I do imagine, Donald Crisp, who is my minds eye, ultimate Father role player on screen. I see him in National Velvet with his 3 beauties who have nothing in the way of riches and everything in the way of family blessings, as well as his precocious son. “You have only your faces for your fortunes.” He exhorts them. All that I can give you in your poverty is the knowledge that your beauty will have to provide for you the rest. I think of the people whose lives are beautified by their riches and influence. Are we not all, rich and poor, in this way? I say to myself, you have only your souls for your acquaintance with God. None of that will give you favor in heaven.

I will take the cup of salvation. I will take what God has provided for me and care for that above all that I ever could possess. I know that God will attend to me, if I attend to Him. If we look at all that David writes through the lens that He is ultimately aware of His utter poverty in heavenly terms we will be blessed in our meditations of the Psalms. What did God do in response to David’s devotion?

God made His words the meditation of our Savior throughout His life and especially in the crucifixion. What a treasure, even above the fact that the Lord was in his lineage! God is the Word incarnate and God used David’s words to put flesh upon the Savior of the World. An amazing thought. What will God do for us in the NT era, who take the cup of salvation and call on the name of the Lord? You have only your souls for your fortune in heaven. Care for your souls above your earthly stuff.

How?

No comments:

Post a Comment