Friday, June 27, 2014

Praying the Commandments, for my soul's profit.

Westminster Shorter catechism Question 43 What is the preface to the ten commandments?
Question 43 What is the preface to the ten commandments. Exodus 20:2 I am the Lord thy God, which hath brought thee out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage.

God is the Lord and Hallowed be His name. What a good reminder in prayer to remember that God is the one who has brought us out of the house of bondage. In New Testament language, we would do well to remember that we were the house of bondage of many a lost soul. We were strangers to God and God’s ways, as individuals and as people groups. How often we forget this truth.

How our pride blinds us to this truth when we come to prayer. When I think of the goodness of Jesus and what he has done for me…My soul cries out Halleluia!

Lord you are the one who winks at the heritage of my sinful people group. I come as an individual, but I come as a part of the eternal Bride of Christ. My personal identity is swallowed in the redemption of God’s people. I am bought with a price. He has paid it all for my personal redemption, but, when He introduces Himself, as in the Decalogue. It is a greater presence.

This is who I am to Israel, says the preface. This is also who I am to the Bride of Christ, of whom you are a part. I love who You are, Lord. I love that every promise of who You are, belongs to me in Christ.

Truly, unite my heart to sing your praise! I confess my idolatrous heart attitude of trying to make You into my own image and I own that Your holiness and Grace are high above, my imaginations and yet you have more than introduced yourself to me in Your Son on my behalf to pay for my sins and give me access to get to know You, more.

I love You Lord! Thank you for access to Your presence through faith. In Jesus Name, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment