Saturday, December 19, 2015

Rejoicing in the Preciousness of Christ's Sacrifice.

What is precious?
Rare, genuine, real,etc.

Precious is a word that describes the things in your life that you protect and regard highly. Ever since I have seen the Hobbit, the word precious has sparked an alarm in my brain. Is it a good descriptive word or a dangerous one? Am I delegating this thing to an idolatry that I am willing to die for? I like that Tolkien had the ability to engage the conscience in that way, although I wish I could read it, so as to know the depth of his victory in this matter of introspection.

Anyway, the word precious is not like Awesome, which can only be ascribed to God, with accuracy. There are many many precious people and things in my life, that I adore. I adore my husband and children and sometimes I adore my home, without having to be Gollum for the loving of them. The fact that he muttered about, like a snakish man adoring the precious ring has captivated me as a real parallel of the human condition without Christ. Before Christ becomes the precious to me, many things have me captivated like that. When Christ comes, we, like the demoniac get set upright and new. We can know that He has done it for us. We must carry our sinful precious things to the foot of the cross. We must engage our souls in the most vicious battle for control of our sinful passions. We must see the payment of Christ's sacrifice and reason to flee those vile passions that keep us in the tempter's snares.

Jesus paid it All All to Him I owe.

Sin had left a crimson stain and He washed it!

No comments:

Post a Comment