Friday, October 21, 2011

The Immense Spiritual Benefit of Praise and Worship

Let every thing that hath breath praise the LORD. Praise ye the LORD. Psalm 150:6





There are few things that I remember, being taught to me, early in my Christian experience as rivetting as the importance of Praise and Worship. The expressions of verbal adoration and continual expressions of love to God, were not stingily expressed, in the Church where the Lord lassoed my soul.

Having come from a Catholic upbringing, these heart expressions of worship to God, were somewhat odd to me. I watched many people, who I had learned to respect for their godliness and sought God for His direction as to whether these things were extreme or useful for the soul. I had a real desire not to be deceived by people as to what is God's directives and this was a particular area of difficulty for me, in practice. I was far more comfortable with quiet heart prayers to God, than the verbalizing of these words, especially the repetition aspect was peculiarly averse to my mind. The noise levels were averse to my nerves and my trained to quiet upbringing. We were early trained to be seen and not heard and to be silent before God, was seen as more solemn and more holy than the noise of, what we considered hollering.

God humbled me and brought me into the school of praise and worship. I saw this invitation and command in the scripture, to glorify God, in worship and praise. I was convinced that my silence was born of pride of place and cultural aversions, still, it took a long time to learn the personal benefit and the spiritual imperative to enter into His presence with worship and praise.

No comments:

Post a Comment