Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Because Your compassions fail not
from January 29th

What a gift in the sunrise this morning was a special present! I was delighted and surprised when I unwrapped the morning craziness and underneath the craze of the preparation and missing items was the catching of a beautiful rainbow. That is why you allowed me to miss the bus this morning, Lord. I thought. If I had been early as usual, I would have missed that wondrous sight.

Ethy’s lost coat and Ezra’s silly story about walking to school and the mess of trying to motivate the unhelpfulness of a woman who is struggling with her identity and the teenage simplicity of the daughter, who is looking for a place to hide and go from the responsibility; all worked together in my life, this morning, to lead me to the gift of the sight of the most precious expression of the promise of God.
Yes, He seems to say, I have allowed Haiti to be in pain and torment right now, but I have promised never to flood the entire world with a flood, for your sins, again. That is what comforted Noah; at looking at the loss of his entire generation. That comforts me, this morning, at the thought of so many in grief and loss, under the providential care of our Loving Lord.

God, You are still God, even when Your providences illude my senses. I look at Your rainbow and remember that Your mercy still endures. It is of Your mercies that we are not all consumed. Because Your compassions fail not!

"Why was I made to hear Your voice,
and enter while there's room,
When others make a dreadful choice and rather starve than come?"

No comments:

Post a Comment