Sunday, September 6, 2015

Praise is not about how I feel or how it makes me feel.

Exodus 15:11 Who is like unto thee, O LORD, among the gods? who is like thee, glorious in holiness, fearful in praises, doing wonders?
I remember the distinguished way the Bishop Senior used to walk around the pulpit and say "When I think of the goodness of Jesus, and what He has done for me, my very soul cries out Halleluia! Praise God for saving me!"

If that is all that God has ever done for you than that could be all that you could say. I wasn't raised to say "Halleluia!" I wasn't raised in a tradition that raises hands and says stuff about God out loud. I was raised to say the responsorial stuff, in the bold print. But, there was something about the articulation of the elder Bishop that hollered out a Halleluia that was infectious. God deserves the praise and glory...

If there are people whose very presence can make you stand to your feet and hollar a the top of your lungs for their excellence in this or that field;how much more should God make you come to your feet and yell, at least sometimes?

The younger Bishop put it into perspective for me. He said, I don't worry about people giving me the glory. People say all kinds of nice things about me and you know what I do? I get right down on my knees and tell God."You know that all of that praise doesn't belong to me, it belongs to me. I am just rolling all of that worship people do and accolades onto the one who deserves it. He accepts all of the praise and all of the worship, because I don't want to be guilty of holding onto praise that really belongs to Him.

David danced before the Lord to show that he was humble enough to know who holds all of the victory. God accepts the praise and comes near in His presence. But that is not why we worship. We worship because He deserves all of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment