Monday, October 25, 2010

Acappella!

Breathing in unison, is what happens in Acappella music. I do remember the first experience that I had learning to harmonize in a choir, to the glory of God. Not for my own glory. "I sing well and I want people to hear me" was my thought, before the grace of God arrested me. I sang in Church, about the same way that I sang at family celebrations. Joy and exuberance, but not for the glory of the Good and Merciful God.
I told my children of Becky. She stands as a memorable influence in my soul, teaching my soul to sing, in unison, for God, not for me. We had devotionals, we sang to worship God, in rehearsal meetings on Friday nights and although I had to fight and argue to get to rehearsal from my parents not agreeing with my choice of becoming Protestant, much less, Pentecostal. God would meet me, after the long battles and arguments with my parents, instructing and comforting my soul. I cried unto God with my whole heart there. Becky would wait for us, until we have sounded like we have cast our cares upon the Lord, before we would even begin our rehearsal. God spoke peace into my soul and mind that was close to being lost altogether. "Never Alone...", God used the songs of those days to remind me that the battle for my mind and my soul was His to fight. I often forgot and took up my emotional swords and picked doctrinal fights of some sort or another and felt the piercings, both of conscience and of spanks for my rebellion.
It was at rehearsal that we learned to pray and fast and seek the face of God in prayer and Acappella. Acappella, not without music, but breathing together, to God's glory. Breathing out blessings to the Great God of Glory. Breathing out worship to the most High.
Sometimes, Becky would hold her nose, when we were at some church or another, meaning that is totally off key. Harmonies are not what they ought to be, somebody is loud and strong and wrong. Check yourself. There was little more embarrassing than seeing Becky's disgruntled face, because we were off. One time, we were singing after a fast of convocation and a few of the young people fainted from weakness and fatigue. God doesn't demand such a sacrifice from His young people, but it is refreshing where you can find a bunch of young people devoted to serving the Lord and putting away their idols.
I remember the spiritual battles, what to sing to myself, when walking through the city. The power of all of the pop music that I had committed to memory and now I was taking captivity captive in the imaginations of my mind. Becky was a tool in the hand of God to teach me the struggle of the principalities and powers that had nearly taken my soul into Hell, if left to themselves. God had graciously redeemed my soul and now was tuning my heart to sing His praise. Becky and the YFC was the tuning fork. Bong!, no,Bong! no.
I don't know what people do without a Becky to tune their hearts. Mine was a severe case of music sickness, I can't say that I will ever be rid of this sickness, but, still I tune my heart and rise above my untoward past to try to glorify God!

Acappella.
Glad

No comments:

Post a Comment