Thursday, January 4, 2024

Seeping into the "Ish"!

 Seeing the Train of the Lord Fill the Temple.


Praise and worship are the clouds with which the Lord of Glory has said that his presence would inhabit and dwell among his people.  I find it no wonder that God would answer prayer and be so present in the midst of His people, and that worship and praise would be the most spontaneous in some places and so controversial in other places.


Worship is often quiet.   Sometimes I miss the sobriety of silent worship.  Not so much that I would move to the “Be Quiet” Church,  but the entreaties to prepare your hearts for worship to those, so many people whose wagging tongues are the entry and exit of the sanctuary, sometimes, just sometimes mind you are the vehicle of Satan to distract and disturb the sobriety of the Worship of God.   I would love to hear reminders before worship that God is present and let us prepare our hearts to meet and to receive HIm.  It is woefully absent in the delight that we have come back to nearly full attendance after COVID.   I am praying for restoration of the sacred sense of worship that comes in the silence.   


We have a very disciplined and very skillful choir, which usher us from our gregarious entrance into the presence of the sacred worship of God, without us even noticing the transition.  Not every church has this convenience.  Our very skilled choir helps us prepare our hearts and minds, without the need of many exhortations and reproofs.  They, as it were, grab our attention and drag it into the presence of God without our having to learn the importance of it.

Still, I miss the exhortation and am offended by the gregariousness of the preworship season.


It is my aging that makes me so sensitive.  I love worship.  I love silent worship and I love loud worship and my silent season of using my words, very sparingly has made me more observant of the need for exhortations to worship in silence and worship in loudness.   God is the God of exuberance and the God of sobriety and silence.   We need a balance.


No comments:

Post a Comment