Wednesday, August 17, 2022

We Be Praisin' Him!

 "I don't know how many times I have been through Malachi, but today's reading made me so hopeful... Who will praise you more; the first son or the second?"

Malachi chapter 1


In my mind, I hear the prayers of dear and earnest Pastor Martin, that nearly made me gag, some mornings, when my morning sickness kicked in and he would pray about the dead dog sacrifices that we would be bringing to God in worship.  Oh dear, I had to puke!  Pastor Loran said something like that this past Sunday,  but southern people never try to make people puke in worship, no matter how much it might be appropriate.  We do not deserve anything that God has given us.  Not only are we neither Jacob, loved, nor Esau, hated,  we are of the third category, the ignored of the Lord, just gentiles.  Dead and ignorant dogs, to the chosen Israel.  Still, God promises not to ultimately forget us.  

Our promise is,  of the rocks I will raise up children of Abraham to praise me.  Hasn't he?  Ought we not out praise any of the other categories of praisers?


I must say that I have always wondered how they knew which of the flock was worthy of God's sacrifice and the answer is in Malachi.  God knows our hearts and what we cherish more and more with each sacrifice that we bring.  Do we bring the sacrifice of praise?  Do we cherish decorum?  Do we cherish our convenience?  Do we cherish our effort?  Do we bring them to Christ in worship?  Our college-educated intellect, do we bring it to Jesus, or do we check it at the door?  God says in Malachi, that he sees what we are bringing to worship.  He knows our hearts and He intends to shame the Old Testament saints with our worship.  Will it do?

We belong to Jesus!  We have been bought with a price! How can we but worship, with spirit, body and mind?  

Be attentive in worship!  Be present!

No comments:

Post a Comment